28.1.08

"On sitting down to read King Lear once again" (John Keats)

O golden-tongued Romance with serene lute!
Fair plumed Syren! Queen of far away!
Leave melodizing on this wintry day,
Shut up thine olden pages, and be mute:
Adieu! for once again the fierce dispute
Betwixt damnation and impassion'd clay
Must I burn through; once more humbly assay
The bitter-sweet of this Shakespearian fruit.
Chief poet! and ye clouds of Albion,
Begetters of our deep eternal theme,
When through the old oak forest I am gone,
Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire.

***

"Sentado, a reler o Rei Lear"

Ó romance de linguagem dourada, com sereno alaúde!
Bela Sereia emplumada, Rainha dos confins!
Deixa a melodia neste dia de inverno,
Cerra as velhas páginas, e te cala.
Adieu! Novamente, contenda feroz
Entre a maldição e o barro apaixonado
devo abrasado passar; provando humilde mais uma vez
O agridoce desta fruta Shakespeariana.
Poeta maior! E vós nuvens de Albion,
Geradoras de nosso profundo e eterno tema!
Quando eu atravessar a antiga Floresta de carvalhos,
Não me deixeis divagar num sonho estéril,
Mas, quando no fogo me consumir,
Dai-me novas asas de Fênix para que voe a meu desejo.

*tradução Alberto Marsicano e John Milton

Nenhum comentário: